What I Thought Of | Paper Towns by John Green


   I don't usually post book or film reviews, even though I am a huge fan of both of them, as I'm not really used to discuss that part of my hobbies on here. However, I thought I would give it a try with John Green's 'Paper Towns', as I think it's a book everyone should read.

   It's a light read, simple and sincere, without being boring. It's not your typical teenage romance story and that's what I love about it. Personally, I'm a fan of John Green's writing style and I find his books perfect to read on a cold afternoon, with a cup of tea, in bed. It's the type of book you  don't really have to wrap your head around but it still manages to keep you wanting more.

   I guess most of you have read it already or at least saw the film this summer, but if you haven't, well.. It's the story of a boy named Quentin, who spends a night full of unusual adventures with his old childhood friend, the girl who he now has a secret crush on, Margo. They drive all night and do all sorts of fun things that Quentin would've never imagined doing, having a great time. But the next day, when Quentin excitedly waits for her at school, she doesn't show up. He than finds out that disappearing like that is an old habit of Margo's and decides to follow the clues she left behind in order to find her before the graduation party. The whole story evolves from there, ending in a surprising way which, in my opinion, makes the book really unique.

  It combines poetry, friendship, overcoming stereotypes, unshared love, and of course, humor. It's a real page turner and you'll find yourself going through it in no time at all! I can definitely state that I prefered this to The Fault In Our Stars and I really think it shows how people are not always what you think they are or what they want you to think they are. They're just people, all of them. And sometimes, searching to find what you want in them might not end how you've expected it to.

  I would definitely recommend giving this a read when you have the time, as a way of relaxing, and you're surely find yourself smiling, laughing and -why not?- maybe even crying a little bit.

  Have you read this book? What did you think of it? What is your favorite light read for a cosy afternoon in? 

33 comments:

  1. I read the book this summer and it definitely kept me in enthralled. Have you seen the movie? I actually just moved to Indianapolis and found out that John Green lives here and the idea of Paper Towns came from abandoned areas of Indiana. Makes me want to go explore now:)
    -Krissy
    www.allthedetailsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the movie, yes! It's a really good one! I just tend to prefer books to movies in this situations! I'd definitely want to explore now too if I was you haha! x

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this book yet, nor have I watched the movie. But I watched the trailer and I gotta say I was pretty intrigued. After watching The Fault in Our Stars, I wasn't sure what to expect which is why I haven't gotten around to watching or reading Paper Towns. TFIOS wasn't that great of a book in my opinion. I just couldn't seem to get into it. The story was okay, but it just didn't really move me like I expected it to. Seeing that you think Paper Towns was better than TFIOS, maybe i'll give it a try!

    ~Andrea Tiffany~
    http://aglimpseofglam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I didn't really enjoy TFIOS that much either. I think I just heard so many good things about it that I had huge expectations when I started reading it. I'm not saying it wasn't a good book, I'm just saying I thought it was a lot more than it turned out to be. This one though, seems more.. alive and misterious, haha! Hope you'll like it! x

      Delete
  3. Excellent review, I haven't read this yet but it is defiantly on my list!

    Bea | thebeacollective 

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been meaning to read this for a while now thanks for the review will definitely have to find time to read it!

    www.MyBeautySleuth.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm almost at the end of the book I'm currently reading and this one sounds exactly like something I'm looking to read next. Great review, you should definitely write more of them in the future :)

    Henna
    www.lifestardustandme.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You should definitely give this one a go! x

      Delete
  6. awwwlovelyreview i loved fault in the stars...so i wanna read this too! wld love if u check out my new post is up sweetie!
    www.fashionistaera.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Surprisingly, I have not yet read nor watched this film so your review was pretty enlightening. I like your point about people not being who they seem or who you think they are. That's very true. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I loved the most about this book..the message! Such a good one! :)

      Delete
  8. I haven't read this or The Fault in our Stars, but it sure sounds like something I would enjoy.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go and let me know what you thought of it! xx

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a really interesting book! Thanks for sharing :) x

    The Belle Narrative

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you thought so! It's my pleasure xx

      Delete
  10. I think I need to dive into this book asap! Books aren't easily accesible in my country but shall start hunting :)

    Real Life Nerd // www.vivienekok.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! xx

      Delete
    2. It's worth it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! xx

      Delete
  11. I haven't read any books by John Green yet (even though I keep telling myself I will) because I've been a bit busy lately and so haven't gotten round to it. The themes of his books sound great, and I am definitely going to try and atleast read one of them soon :)

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete
  12. AAA I need to read the paper towns asap! thanks for sharing:) Do you want to support each other's blog by following each other?:) Please let me know if you do so I can follow you right back x

    xox,
    http://www.theclosetelf.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! Your blog is great, I just followed! x

      Delete
  13. I read this book and it is really good! I didn't want to watch the movie before reading the book so I had to stop myself. After reading it I watched the film too and I really like it too :)

    www.elabellaworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! The movie was great too! x

      Delete
  14. Yay, I am actually so happy you posted a book review - I LOVE book & movie reviews mixed with beauty/fashion and advice-giving :)
    I really enjoyed this book, it's just so lovely!
    Very different :)
    Hope you are doing great girlie.
    xox Nadia
    http://mielandmint.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading them too, glad you ejoyed it! ^_^ Have a lovely day, Nadia! x

      Delete
  15. I haven't read it, but I think I will) Thanks for sharing!

    Diana Cloudlet
    www.dianacloudlet.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. great post dear! Have a nice day:)

    irenethayer.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish I had more time for reading (: sounds great
    Nati xx
    www.simplyartdicted.com

    ReplyDelete