Make Your Foundation YELLOW Toned | DIY


    My skin has extremely yellow undertones and it can be a nightmare when it comes to buying foundations, especially from the drugstore. There have been soo many times when a foundation had the perfect finish for me but it was way to pink-toned. It is really frustrating and I never thought there was such an easy way to solve the problem. Thanks to a bit of online research, I've discovered this simple method and I want to share it with everyone who hasn't already tried it.

   The magic lies in food coloring. Yellow food coloring to be more specific. It doesn't disturb the consistency of my foundation and it doesn't break me out (and my skin breaks out super easily). Most people recommend gel food coloring but I haven't found it in my local store so I bought the liquid one. It is a little bit harder to mix in and if you add a lot of it, it might make your foundation a little bit more liquidy. However, I don't think it's anything too major. If you find gel food coloring, get that, it's safer. If you don't, here's how you work with a liquid one:


PS: I am using Revlon ColorStay in the shade 180 Sand Beige


Try not to add too much, as you want to see how it works first. 


Same as with the foundation, start with a little amount. If you like the result you can add the food coloring straight into the foundation bottle and give it a really good shake. I've tried it that way with my Estée Lauder D.W. and it worked really well. (Made the consistency a bit more liquidy which actually helped it blend better into the skin.)


This might take a little while, especially with liquid food coloring but you'll get there. Just keep mixing!


For the sake of this post I swatched them on a white surface but I recommend you do it on your hand to see if it actually matches your skin tone! 

Have fun trying this at home and let me know what you think!

   

11 comments:

  1. Now that you mention it it sounds really reasonable. Why have I never thought of it before?

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my exact reaction when I first found out about it! Such an underrated idea that actually works!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the amazing tip! If I ever need to fix my foundation, now I know how!

    http://perlasancheza.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea! Now I can transform my pink toned foundations into my actual skin colour! hahaha
    Really helpful ^^ Have a nice day xx

    selenaponcestyle.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tip! Did the food colouring break you out or add dryness to the skin? I have really sensitive skin :/

    RLN

    Real Life Nerd // www.vivienekok.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I break out really easily too and was a bit scared but it actually didn't break me out. Mix a small quantity first and test in on a small area on your face if you want to, so you can make sure it's safe! Have fun with it! x

      Delete
  5. I'm a year too late for this post. But this is a brilliant idea! Just wondering if it's fine to mix my entire bottle of foundation with food colouring? Like, 'cos ultimately it's under the "food" category, will it affect the lifespan and quality of the foundation, considering I'll be using it for the next few months? Thanks! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you 1000x!!! I have never thought of it, since i do have an yellow undertone and drugstores foundations are far more affordable than mine Urban Decay! I already wrote the yellow food coloring on my grocery list! Very clever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How does it wear throughout the day? I just bought a Mac Studio fix foundation in the NW shades instead of the NC shades on accident and I want to know how to fix it. And replies would be appreciated! :)

    ReplyDelete